Monday, February 01, 2016

Snowflake Puffy Paint

Around Christmas we did a puffy paint recipe that worked really well and Monkey loved. Since then, I came across another, different, recipe for even puffier paint and I just had to try it. 

I found the recipe here: http://innerchildfun.com/2012/01/puffy-snowflake-paintings.html

It uses self-rising flour, which I got at Bulk Barn because you don't need much. I also read that you can make your own self-rising flour using common ingredients, so that might be worth a Google. 

Supplies: self-rising flour, salt, cardstock, squeeze bottles, food colouring (optional), glitter (optional)


To make the paint, mix equal parts self-rising flour and salt. I used 1/3 cup of each. Next, add water slowly, mixing until you get the consistency of pancake batter. I don't think you can go wrong here as long as it's not too runny, you definitely want it to be towards the thicker side. Once I had a nice consistency, I split the paint into two bowls so that we could have two different colours. 

Finally, add food colouring and/or glitter, if desired. Since we were working with white cardstock, we made two different colours of blue with food colouring, and added glitter to both. 



Once everything was mixed, I poured the paint into the squeeze bottles and set them out with the cardstock out for Monkey. 


I cut the cardstock into smaller pieces so that Monkey would make a bunch of smaller paintings instead of one big one. I highly recommend using cardstock instead of construction paper for this activity. It's just that much stronger than paper or construction paper. 

Monkey couldn't wait to start squeezing!




Now for the best part!! Once the painting is finished, pop it into the microwave to see it really puff up!

Here's one of Monkey's paintings when he was done painting. 


Then, thirty seconds in the microwave. (Another reason to use smaller pieces of cardstock..)


And voila!


It's a bit hard to tell from my pictures, but after being in the microwave the painting is completely dry and really puffy! Monkey thought this was amazing. 

He made a whole bunch, and I couldn't help myself, I had to make one, too. 


Monkey used less than half of the paint I made to do these, so the paint goes quite a long way. 

If you're thinking of trying puffy paint, I definitely recommend this recipe.

Mar 

No comments:

Post a Comment