Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Snowflake Water Play

A few weeks ago Monkey did some simple water play and has been asking about it since. Sometimes I get him set up in the sink to do some pretend dishes but today we had some extra time because Peanut had a morning nap, so I got him set up with this new water play. 


Supplies: bucket of water, peppermint extract, foam snowflakes, various kitchen tools and bowls 


I found the foam snowflakes at the dollar store before Christmas and I've been saving them for something fun. This seemed perfect! Plus, after they dry, we can use them again for some art. 

I added the peppermint extract so that there would be another sense included. 

Monkey jumped right in. He couldn't keep his hands off the kitchen tools I had laid out for him. He doesn't get many opportunities to ever use them so having access to them was really exciting. 


He started off with the whisk and that was definitely his favourite! He was trying to catch the snowflakes inside the whisk. When he got one he would say, "I caught a fish!"


He also used the tongs to grab the snowflakes and put them into the bowl, which is really good fine motor practice. 


He made some soup with the ladle. 


He ended up using the whisk the most which was fun. He spent a long time catching every snowflake and taking it out of the water with the whisk. 


If you're feeling a little skeptical about having a bucket of water in your living room, do it in the bathtub instead! 

Mar 

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea, and the peppermint extract scent too! I think I have all the materials already. Love when there is a craft with things already in my cupboard. Going to try it today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea, and the peppermint extract scent too! I think I have all the materials already. Love when there is a craft with things already in my cupboard. Going to try it today!

    ReplyDelete