Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Snowball Experiment

Monkey and I were playing outside during Peanut's nap yesterday and we discovered that the snow was perfect for making snowballs. I made a big pile for Monkey's 'collection' which he's keeping on our front step, and I made three which I put aside for this experiment. 

I got the idea here: http://www.pleasantestthing.com/kids-science-activity-snow-fun

Supplies: three snowballs, three bowls (fridge and freezer safe)


Monkey and I sat next the snowballs on the floor and I told him we'd be putting one on the counter, one in the fridge, and one in the freezer. Then I asked him what he thought might happen to each snowball. Here's what he said:

Counter: "It's going to melt, Mommy!"
Fridge: "It's going to melt because they never last for long."
Freezer: "It's going to melt because they never last for long, Mommy."

Hmmmm. I think bringing the snowballs inside has him thinking melt, melt, melt. I tried approaching it a few other ways but they all resulted in the same answers. 

It took about three hours for the snowball on the counter to melt. It's hard to tell but the bowl is full of water. 


I asked Monkey what happened to the snowball we left on the counter? "It melted! It didn't last for long. Snowballs are cold."

The snowball in the fridge didn't start to change until it had sat for about 12 hours. Then we noticed it had started to melt. 


This picture was taken more than 24 hours after putting the snowball in the fridge. There is water in the bottom of the bowl. 

I asked Monkey to tell me what he noticed. "It's a little big melty. It's some water and some ice."

Of course, the snowball in the freezer didn't melt at all. 


Monkey said, "That one is still fine." When I asked, why? "Snowballs are cold."

I made sure to describe the counter as warm, the fridge as cold, and the freezer as very cold. Maybe he's not using any amazing science vocabulary, but Monkey definitely noticed that the snowballs changed (or didn't) from when we brought them inside. 

Mar 

No comments:

Post a Comment