Thursday, November 19, 2015

ABC Sticker Wall

I am so excited about the alphabet activity we did today!!

Monkey just loves letters. He knows his alphabet really well now but still wants to practice and work with the letters. I'm trying to get him interested in beginning to write them, but I don't think he's quite ready yet. He's never been super into colouring so he doesn't have a lot of experience with holding and controlling a writing instrument. When I found this idea for working with the alphabet I knew I would be able to get him to use his markers!


Supplies: alphabet stickers, paper roll, markers


I found the alphabet stickers at the dollar store. I purposely got all different kinds of letters to make it a little more challenging for Monkey because he knows his letters well. To simplify this, you could get a few packages of the same letters.

I rolled out a long piece of the paper roll and taped it to the floor. Then Monkey and I put four sets of alphabet stickers on. 


He loves stickers and was super helpful. I tried to make sure he didn't put the stickers too close together. For the second half of this activity there needs to be room between the letters. 


You could also do this activity without stickers, by printing the letters yourself using different colour markers. 

Now that all the stickers were on, it was time to really get started. We moved the paper from the floor to the wall. Since Monkey would be moving around a lot using the markers, it made more sense for him to do so on his feet instead of his knees. 

Then I told Monkey we were going to use a marker to draw a line to connect the letters that were the same. 

I made sure he found two 'A's before he started drawing any lines. Then he connected them together before finding the remaining two 'A's and doing the same for them. 


He really enjoyed drawing the lines. After he had done the first few, he started to get a little silly and make his lines more squiggly and crazy. 


We did the letters A-E to start with, each one in a different colour. The page is already pretty covered so I know it's going to look great once he's done all the letters! 

I like this activity because it's lasted a long time so far. We did the stickers one day, then the first five letter connections the next day. The rest we can do over the next few days. There was minimal set up and a lot of valuable time spent doing the activity. 

Mar 

No comments:

Post a Comment