Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Drinking Straw Sensory Bin

Today's sensory activity is a bin full of drinking straws. It's clean and fun. 


I got the straws from Ikea. It was a package of 100 for less than $2. I thought that one package would be enough but now I wish I had picked up two bags. At least now I have an excuse to go back to Ikea!! 

Supplies: bucket, straws, measuring cups, tongs, spoon, strings


First I cut up all the straws. It took a little longer than I thought, maybe it was a good thing I only had 100!



Then I let Monkey explore. At first he was just touching all the straws with his hands. They make a pretty neat noise when you run your fingers through them. 

Then he started using the tongs. They are one of his favourite tools. 

 
Next he was scooping and dumping with the measuring cups. 


I wasn't sure if he would be interested in stringing the straws onto the rope. We've never done any sort of beading together and I'm not sure if he's had any experience with it at daycare or preschool. He knew what to do though. 


I really like how clean this sensory activity was and the fact that now I can pack the straws into a bag and we can use them again later. I've already got plans to use them for some art and for a patterning activity as well. 

Mar 

No comments:

Post a Comment