Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Bubble Foam

This morning we had a play date with Monkey's new and very best friend from preschool. He was so excited and asked me every five minutes from the minute he woke up, "Is it time yet?" 

We looked through some ideas for an art, science, or sensory activity that he and his friend could do together and this is the one Monkey chose. 


Supplies: electric mixer, large bowl, measuring cup and spoon, food colouring, baby soap, corn starch, various water toys


I had the boys help me make the foam. It is really easy, low effort with big results!! 

The instructions I followed called for dish soap but I used baby soap instead based on the comments and my own experience. We made this about a year ago using dish soap and I found that after a few minutes of playing my hands started to feel a bit strange. It worked exactly the same with baby soap which is much gentler on skin, especially in such a  concentrated mixture. 

First, I mixed 1/3 cup of baby soap with 1/3 cup of water. Then the boys took turns dropping in the food colouring. We used three drops and the colours were very bright. Pour the mixture into the bowl you will use with your electric mixer. Finally, add one tablespoon of corn starch into the bowl. 

Now mix it. This is where the boys really loved helping!! 


It took about 30-40 seconds of mixing to make the bubble foam fill the bowl. 

We made four batches, each a different colour. After mixing, I dumped the bubble foam into a shallow, big container we had set up on the floor with a tablecloth and towels. 


So pretty!!


The boys dove right in. They didn't love the animals and measuring cups and spoons I had laid out for them so I grabbed some plastic trucks and it was exactly what they needed. They are boys after all!



This would also be fun (and easier to clean up) in the bathtub!

Mar

No comments:

Post a Comment