Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Handprint Art for a Grandmother

This week Monkey's grandmother turns 60! We'll be celebrating all week and I have two art activities to share with you. Today's is a canvas art project, and tomorrow's with be a birthday card.

I got the idea for this handprint art here: http://www.craftymorning.com/heart-handprint-canvas-grandma/

Supplies: paint, paint brushes, canvas, painters tape, Sharpies 


The first thing to do is tape up the canvas in the shape of a heart. To do this I made a large square of tape on a piece of cardboard and then drew on a heart shape. 


I used an exacto knife to cut the shape of the heart and discarded the inside section. 


Finally I transferred the heart outline to the canvas. This was tricky with two hands and I was happy my husband was close by to help! 


The next step was to do the boys' handprints all over the heart. We did Monkey's hands six times (one for each colour of the rainbow) and then repeated the process with Peanut's hands.

There are no pictures of the process but here is what the canvas looked like after we were done with the handprints. 


When I started to take off the painter's tape, some of the heart didn't have a very distinct outline, so I traced he heart with a black Sharpie before taking the tape completely off. 


Finally, I added the following quote around the bottom of the heart: "Omas create memories that the heart holds forever." (The original quote said grandmothers, but Monkey and Peanut call my mom Oma [it's Dutch]). 


I wrote their names and the date on the back too. And of course, their grandmother loved it - who wouldn't!? 

Mar 

No comments:

Post a Comment