Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Chalk Maze

Today was a beautiful, sunny spring day and Monkey and I couldn't wait to get outside this afternoon. He is perfectly happy to play with his outside toys in the yard but I always like to give him new games and activities to play, too. 


Mazes are a great learning tool. They provide an opportunity for children to use skills like planning, strategizing, thinking ahead, and problem solving. Additionally, they are typically challenging enough to require sustained attention and focus, and a little perseverance too!

Supplies: sidewalk chalk, cars 


The first step was to make the maze. And it was incredibly hard!! I tried to copy the maze from the blog linked above but I guess I made ours much bigger and I had to figure it out on my own. After much struggle and lots of erasing wth water, I finished a maze that had a path to get all the way through. Apparently this was also a test of my focus and perseverance :)


Monkey lined all his cars up at the entrance of the maze then started driving them through. 



It was really cute to watch him do this. He got frustrated a few times when he couldn't find the way to go right away, but with some encouragement and a few small hints, he got through the whole thing.


I noticed that he tried every single path, even after doing the maze more than once. 



After his nap, Peanut joined in the fun, too. Of course, he didn't care about the dead ends and just drove right through them!


The forecast for the next few days looks pretty nice so I think we'll be able to use the maze again before it gets washed away, which is good because I'm not sure if I can draw it again!

Mar 

No comments:

Post a Comment