Monday, January 11, 2016

Race to Fill the Cup

Here's an easy, quick game to practice number recognition and counting. 

Dice are a great tool for learning numbers because, with practice, a child will learn to recognize a quantity without having to count it. This is called subitizing, and it is an important concept in early math. Dominos are another great tool for practicing this skill. 

Supplies: die, cups, glass stones (or any collection of objects available, such as small blocks, pom poms, etc.)


To play, take turns rolling the die and placing that many objects into the cup. The first to fill their cup wins. 


I made sure to say out loud what number I rolled and to count out loud as I dropped my stones into my cup. I encouraged Monkey to do the same. 


An older child could play this game with two dice which would present the additional challenge of adding two numbers together. 

We played this game on and off all day. It's easy to set up and a round typically lasts about five minutes, so it was easy to fit in here and there. And it's packed with math skills, too. 

Mar

No comments:

Post a Comment