Thursday, January 07, 2016

Paper Plate Shark

Today we finally got around to finishing the last creature for our ocean mural. Monkey actually asked if we could make another lobster, but when I suggested a shark instead he was thrilled!


Supplies: paper plate, black and white paint, googly eyes, white paper, white and black construction paper, paint brushes, glue


As we sat down to get started, I asked Monkey what colour sharks are. He knew they were grey. I told him that we didn't have any grey paint but that we could make some. He figured out that we'd use the black and white paint, so smart! ...Well I did have it sitting out on the table, so he had a big hint. 

He helped me squeeze out the paint and mix it all up on our paint tray.  

Then I got him set up to paint the paper plate, which makes the shark's head, and the white paper, which we'd use to make the fins. 




I made sure he covered the whole plate and enough of the white paper to be able to cut out three fins. 

Once the paper was dry, I drew the fins on with a pencil, one dorsal fin for the top and one pectoral fin for the side, which I then folded over to cut, leaving two identical fins. 



I wanted Monkey to help with the cutting but he wasn't very interested. (I'll have to find some scissor activities to get him practicing that!) 

I cut out the three fins, as well as a black half circle for the mouth and five teeth. 


Monkey glued all the pieces on to the paper plate, using white glue for the eyes and fins and a glue stick for the mouth and teeth. 


He is so pleased with how it turned out, and so am I!


Next week we'll paint a big, blue ocean mural and all our sea creatures will finally have a home! 

Mar 

No comments:

Post a Comment