Thursday, March 19, 2015

Magical Alphabet Letters

Ooooh March Break... Obviously as a teacher it is one of my favourite times of the year, but right now at home with my boys it is a little bit frustrating! All our playgroups and drop-in activities have been cancelled for the week, so we are feeling a bit cooped up and it is making Monkey and I go a little stir crazy. 

Today we did an alphabet/painting combo activity. I had already cut all the card stock a few nights ago when I was prepping another craft so there wasn't much to do this morning. 

Supplies: water colours, foam brush, cup of water, cardstock or white paper, white crayon


On the white cardstock I wrote the letters of the alphabet in white crayon. I only gave Monkey five random cards to start with because I wasn't sure how long his attention span would be. 

I knew it would be easier for him to just dip his brush in the cup instead of all over the watercolor tray so I just chipped off a little piece of the water colour and dissolved it in the cup of water. (You can also do this with regular paint using a very small drop.) 


I gave Monkey the first card and he could tell that there was something written on it... He got straight to work and it didn't take him long to see the letter. After finishing the first one he knew the rest of the cards would have letters on them too and he loved guessing which one before he painted. He finished all five cards that I gave him and asked to do more so I mixed up a different colour of paint for some variety and he finished a few more cards. 


It will be nice that we can pull this out again over the next week and finish all the letters in a few different colours. After they're all done I will bind them together into a book that he can look at. 

Mar

No comments:

Post a Comment