Thursday, June 23, 2016

Painting with a Drill

Way back in October I saw this fantastic process painting inspiration. I completely forgot about it until I was going through pictures on my phone and came across the screen shot I had taken. I can't believe it's taken me this long to do this activity with Monkey!! 

I found the idea on Instagram, @learnwithplayathome. When I showed the picture to Monkey, he immediately had a huge smile on his face, and as we were collecting our materials and setting everything up he must have said, "I'm so excited!" about a hundred times. 

Supplies: toy drill, butcher paper, duct tape, paint containers, paint brush, paint 


The first step to get set up is to make the drill into a painting tool. I attached the paint brush by removing the drill bit, replacing it with the paint brush, and then taping it securely on. 


Next, Monkey helped me get the paint squeezed into the paint containers. 


Finally, I taped a large piece of butcher paper to our shed, and Monkey was ready to go!



Right away it was clear this was a home run. I knew Monkey would love painting with the drill, and he really, really did. 



love the fact that he was doing art outside, and that he was standing up while doing it. It takes different muscle groups to paint standing as opposed to sitting. 


Sometimes I had to remind him that he could spin the drill because he was just painting regularly, and he would get a huge smile on his face all over again. 


I think one of the highlights of this activity for Monkey was the fact that he got to mix all the paint colours into each other. Usually we are very careful not to mix brushes or colours, but obviously with the paint brush taped to the drill that just wasn't going to happen. He spent a lot of time spinning the drill in the paint containers, mixing the paint up while grabbing it to use on the paper. 



Painting with a drill was everything we hoped for! I definitely recommend it. 


Mar 

No comments:

Post a Comment