Friday, June 10, 2016

Colour Mixing (Part 1)

For the last few days Monkey has been asking me what happens when colours get mixed together. So curious! I love it. I've lined up some colour mixing activities so that he can find out for himself how to mix the primary colours (red, yellow, blue) to make the secondary colours (orange, purple, green). 

Today's activity does require some very easy prep the night before you want to do it. 

Supplies: paint tray, paint, water


First, here's the part you need to prep the night before. You need to make two frozen paint cubes of each colour. I used about half paint and half water to make each cube. That way they would be a vibrant colour, but also freeze and thaw a little faster. 


I used a toothpick to mix the paint and water together, then put the tray in the freezer overnight. 

The next morning Monkey pulled the tray out of the freezer and we were ready to let the colours mix. 

I had these white disposable cups leftover from a party, so I made Monkey a little colour code of how to mix the cubes together. 


He quickly dropped the paint cubes into the cups. Even holding them for a few seconds, he got paint all over his fingers!


We left the paint to melt for a few hours. Once the cubes were totally melted, Monkey used a wooden stick to mix the colours together. 



As he mixed, I asked him which colours he was mixing and what colour they were making. 


They may not be perfect (i.e. purple) but I think they gave Monkey the idea!

Mar 

No comments:

Post a Comment