Thursday, May 05, 2016

Sorting Letters

It's been a while since we've done any alphabet activities around here. Monkey was on a real art kick and I wanted to keep that going as long as I could!!

This activity is super quick to set up, but does require sitting with the child the whole time (at least it did for us). 

I have seen the idea before, but most recently I saw it on Instagram (@munchkins_and_moms). 

Supplies: alphabet magnets, three pieces of paper for labels 


This activity involves sorting the letters based on how you print them. Some letters have only curvy (or round) lines, some only have straight lines, and some have both. On the three pieces of paper, I wrote these titles and drew some examples as well. Then I taped them up to the garage door with all the alphabet magnets. 

I explained to Monkey how we would be sorting the letters and then we got to work. For the first time he didn't care about doing the letters in order!! 



On his own, he would hold the letter and trace his finger over all the lines. Very tactile learning!



For the most part, he was able to sort the letters independently, especially the straight ones. 


Once he had sorted all the letters, we counted how many in each section and I asked which had the most and the least. I just can't help it, I have to get those math skills in, too!

Mar

No comments:

Post a Comment