Thursday, March 31, 2016

Sinking Boats

Peanut has been pretty sick this week and possibly getting a couple of teeth, too. That means that when he is awake, he gets almost all of my attention. So when he is napping, I want to give Monkey some serious one on one without spending too much time preparing an activity. This sinking boat experiment is perfect!

I got the idea from @darlamyersclass on Instagram. 

Supplies: bucket of water, aluminum foil, glass beads (coins would also work well)


After filling the bucket with water, Monkey and I sat down to make our boats. 


We put them in the water and I asked Monkey if they were sinking or floating. Then I told him we were going to put beads in our boats, one at a time, and count how many until the boat sank. Monkey guessed it would take four glass beads to sink his boat. 

We started filling our boats. 


The boat I made held 20 beads before sinking. Monkey's held 25. 


Monkey had an idea to put the boats together and do it again. We thought it might hold more beads with both boats. We called it double trouble! 


It ended up holding 20 beads. 


After that Monkey wanted to keep playing with the water and glass beads. 


If Monkey was older and his attention span was a little longer, I would have tried to have him make another, different boat to see if he could get more beads in it. But for today, this was great! Just what the two of us needed. 

Mar 

No comments:

Post a Comment