Thursday, May 28, 2015

Sink or Float?

My little Peanut has been very demanding over the past few weeks. Monkey has been really great about entertaining himself with his toys. But I really want to get back into the groove of doing all our art, sensory, letter, and science activities. To keep both of us busy :)

I've got an easy but fun science activity today, sink or float? It gives an opportunity for me to discuss some great science vocabulary with Monkey (sink, float, heavy, light), plus it's water play which is always a winner with a three year old. 

Supplies: bucket of water, various items to drop in the water 


All of these items are things that Monkey is familiar with, that he has played with or used before. I also made sure everything was safe to get wet and wouldn't be ruined in the water. 


We sat down together to get started. It took all of Monkey's patience and self-control not to dump everything in all at once. We talked about what the words sink (heavy, go to the bottom) and float (light, stay on top) mean. 


Monkey picked up an item from the pile and I quickly asked him if he thought it would sink or float. Then he would drop it in to find out!


I wasn't trying to trick him so he was right on for almost all the objects. We both got fooled by the plastic elephant though! 

This activity took less than five minutes to get through, but Monkey stayed next to the bucket of water taking things out and dropping them back in for a while. Like I said, kids love playing in water!

Mar  

No comments:

Post a Comment