Friday, December 18, 2015

Length and Number Christmas Tree

It seems that Monkey and I have been doing a lot of number activities lately. It's what he's interested in learning right now. He's trying so hard with counting and numbers. He says the cutest things like, "I think I want forty four cookies" or "This thing weighs a mega thousand pounds"!

Since he's so into numbers, I'll give him number activities. This one also deals with length and the concept of shortest and longest. 


Supplies: glue stick, Christmas stickers, green, white, and yellow construction paper


I used my paper cutter to cut a bunch of strips out of the green construction paper. The stickers I bought were pretty big so I made sure the strips were big enough to fit them. Then I chopped the strips into five lengths, the smallest for at the top of the tree and the longest for at the bottom. I also cut out a star for the top. 


I sat down with Monkey to get started. He just loves stickers so he was eager to see what I had planned. 

I told him the first job was to make the tree and we needed to glue the green pieces starting with the longest one at the bottom. I had laid them out all mixed up so it wouldn't be too easy for him. 


He had no problem ordering the green pieces from longest to shortest in the shape of a tree. 



As usual, I really tried not to do anything for him (unless he asked for help). I helped to make sure he put them close enough together so the tree would fit on the page, but I didn't straighten any out. I love how crooked and adorable it turned out. 

Next we moved onto the stickers. Starting at the top, each green strip of paper got some stickers, with one on the shortest and five on the longest. 


While he was working, I tried to use language like, "Three is one more than two". He may not entirely understand but it introduces him to that math language. 


I didn't tell him that he had to use the same stickers on each piece of green - he did that on his own but he definitely picked that up from me somewhere along the way. 


This ended up being a great math activity and a really cute piece of Christmas art! 


Mar

No comments:

Post a Comment